Management of CWMS nationwide deployment. Under the ARRA, the Corps accelerated implementation of its Corps Water Management System (CWMS) at 11 districts across the nation. CWMS is a fully integrated decision support system, designed to provide real-time data and analyses for improved system operation. It includes HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, HEC-ResSim, HEC-FIA, and visualization and data management applications. We were the lead contractor for this deployment, managing the work of three consulting firms and coordinating their activities. Tasks included working with HEC to select watersheds to be modeled, developing the project management plan and performance work statements, facilitating the work of contractors, monitoring progress, reporting to the Corps’ project manager, reviewing the documentation and models prepared by the three contractors, writing the final project report, and coordinating with 11 Corps district offices and HEC.
Deployment of CWMS at 3 sites. With funding from the ARRA, we were responsible for deploying CWMS for the Red River of the North (MN and ND) for the St. Paul District, the Buffalo Bayou (TX) for the Galveston District, and the American River (CA) for the Sacramento District. This included working cooperatively with staff of HEC, the 3 districts, NWS, USGS, and other water agencies to implement fully all components of CWMS.
- Identifying district needs and expectations for the project.
- Determining how to develop models to fulfill district objectives.
- Preparing a hydrologic engineering management plan.
- Inventorying existing models; inventorying hydrologic, hydraulic, topographic, economic, and meteorological data.
- Developing HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, HEC-ResSim, and HEC-FIA models and documenting the process.
- Integrating those models in the CWMS framework and stress testing the models.
- Transferring the technology to District staff.
- Writing the final deployment report.
Under the aggressive ARRA CWMS schedule, the work was completed in approximately 2 years.